There’s plenty of treats that Halloween ghosts and goblins can enjoy, and we’ve listed them below. PLUS, we’ve got some tricks to help keep your mouth healthy.
Treats That Can SCARE Braces and Orthodontic Appliances:
- Taffy apples
- Hard candies
- Chewy candies
- Gummy candies
- Bubble gum
- Lollipops & suckers
TREAT Yourself with These Instead:
- Chocolate (without caramel or nuts)
- Peanut butter cups
- M&Ms (no nuts)
- 3 Musketeers
- Milky Ways
- Soft cookies (without nuts)
- Hot chocolate
- Ice cream
TRICKS for Your Teeth:
- Sugary treats and drinks are okay in moderation, but can be frightening for your teeth. Accumulation of these treats around your braces can lead to decalcification (permanent white marks on your teeth), cavities or gum disease.
- Be sure to brush and floss after you enjoy your treats — especially around the brackets and the gumline.
- Drink lots of water while enjoying your treats. It will help flush out the sugar and debris.
- Consider having healthy treats on hand as a substitute for the off-limit ones. Goodies like smoothies, cut up fruit and frozen yogurt can fix the sweet-tooth without hurting your appliances.
Associated Orthodontists has locations in Joliet, Plainfield, Morris, Frankfort, New Lenox and Bourbonnais, and offers state-of-the-art products like DAMON® SYSTEM BRACES and INVISALIGN® — plus COMPLIMENTARY CONSULTATIONS and observation appointments at all locations. Our friendly team will verify your insurance and create a customized interest-free payment plan. To schedule your FREE Consultation, or to find the Associated Orthodontist location near you, please visit GREATBRACES.COM.